Monday, October 25, 2010

Struggling with the DST

As we already saw everyone's DSTs in class, I was wondering if anyone else felt like they just couldn't get their story just right. I think my professor had a very different take on the writing process because she never really struggled with writing, whereas many other professors didn't have the same experience. I wanted to show that good writing isn't necessarily trying to make every word perfect or mulling over every single quote in the paper. Good writing can be achieved by having a valid argument and supporting that argument, which is an important part of the political science discipline.

Perhaps it sounded as if in my DST that she thought writing was a simple process, but this is definitely not what she meant. When I ended the DST in saying that "if the ideas are there and if they are developed, then good writing will follow." I simply meant that having a core group of ideas and evidence is essential for a good paper. She stressed the importance that maybe a student may not have the best vocabulary or the most eloquent sentence structure, but they can still be good writers. She looks for writing that you would see in academic journals which is clear and concise. I think good writing is different to her than many other writers, so I'm glad I was able to add a new perspective to the class.

1 comment:

  1. Lauren-

    I think this idea that "if the ideas are there and if they are developed, then good writing will follow" can sometimes really apply. Not every paper has to be wonderfully and beautifully written. I would much rather read a simple sounding paper that gets its point across instead of a fluffy, wordy, pretty sounding paper that actually says nothing. I mean, obviously the best thing would be having a paper that sounds good and verbalizes the ideas well, but not everyone can do that easily. I feel like when it comes down to it, ideas can sometimes be just as important if not more so than the words that you use! Granted, if your words are so terrible that you can't even articulate the ideas well, then there's an issue, but regardless, i thought your Digital Story was really good!

    ReplyDelete