Sunday, November 7, 2010

Shadowing Experience-What to do when no one is there

Last week I went to the writing center to shadow as I usually do, but no one showed up for a consultation. The person I shadowed talked to me about how when this happens he usually takes some time to do homework or sees if someone will show up. Because no one was there I left a bit early, but I had time to start thinking about my classmate consultation and doing that during the shadowing time instead. I began to think about how he typically does his consultations and what parts of his sessions are more effective than others. As I wrote my plan for the classmate consultation, I realized that my idea of how to run a consultation was quite comparable to his.
He usually reads over the essay first, asks questions about the assignment and then questions the student about what they want to get out of the session. Because the paper I'm consulting is actually a creative work in the form of a letter, I have different concerns about what the letter is supposed to convey. Unlike an essay, there is no argument or thesis, so I think I have to approach it differently; however, his consultations are a good foundation as to how I can begin to consult this work.

No comments:

Post a Comment